Re: The Information Schema vs the PG Catalog

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <ken(at)sunward(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The Information Schema vs the PG Catalog
Date: 2005-12-27 17:11:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

I would say that pg_catalog is the more complete one whereas the
information_schema the more generic, standards-conformant place. I would
stick with the information_schema unless that becomes inadequate. A case
in point may be sequences. Apart from
information_schema.columns.column_default I haven't seen them
represented anywhere there (please someone correct me if I am wrong).
You can get more information about sequences from pg_catalog.pg_class
(look for pg_class.relkind='S') and various views that sit on top of
that (e.g. pg_statio_all_sequences).

George