Re: Removing unneeded self joins

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michał Kłeczek <michal(at)kleczek(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing unneeded self joins
Date: 2023-10-18 18:50:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 11:28 AM Andrei Lepikhov
<a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> On 12/10/2023 18:32, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 12:17 PM Andrei Lepikhov
> > <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> >> To be more precise, in the attachment, you can find a diff to the main
> >> patch, which shows the volume of changes to achieve the desired behaviour.
> >> Some explains in regression tests shifted. So, I've made additional tests:
> >>
> >> DROP TABLE test CASCADE;
> >> CREATE TABLE test (a int, b int not null);
> >> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX abc ON test(b);
> >> explain SELECT * FROM test t1 JOIN test t2 ON (t1.a=t2.a)
> >> WHERE t1.b=t2.b;
> >> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX abc1 ON test(a,b);
> >> explain SELECT * FROM test t1 JOIN test t2 ON (t1.a=t2.a)
> >> WHERE t1.b=t2.b;
> >> explain SELECT * FROM test t1 JOIN test t2 ON (t1.a=t2.a)
> >> WHERE t1.b=t2.b AND (t1.a=t2.a OR t2.a=t1.a);
> >> DROP INDEX abc1;
> >> explain SELECT * FROM test t1 JOIN test t2 ON (t1.a=t2.a)
> >> WHERE t1.b=t2.b AND (t1.b=t2.b OR t2.b=t1.b);
> >>
> >> We have almost the results we wanted to have. But in the last explain
> >> you can see that nothing happened with the OR clause. We should use the
> >> expression mutator instead of walker to handle such clauses. But It
> >> doesn't process the RestrictInfo node ... I'm inclined to put a solution
> >> of this issue off for a while.
> >
> > OK. I think it doesn't worth to eliminate IS NULL quals with this
> > complexity (at least at this stage of work).
> >
> > I made improvements over the code. Mostly new comments, grammar
> > corrections of existing comments and small refactoring.
> >
> > Also, I found that the suggestion from David Rowley [1] to qsort
> > array of relations to faster find duplicates is still unaddressed.
> > I've implemented it. That helps to evade quadratic complexity with
> > large number of relations.
> >
> > Also I've incorporated improvements from Alena Rybakina except one for
> > skipping SJ removal when no SJ quals is found. It's not yet clear for
> > me if this check fix some cases. But at least optimization got skipped
> > in some useful cases (as you can see in regression tests).
>
> I would like to propose one more minor improvement (see in attachment).
> The idea here is that after removing a self-join and changing clauses we
> should re-probe the set of relids with the same Oid, because we can find
> more removable self-joins (see the demo test in join.sql).

Thank you, I've integrated this into the patch. BTW, the patch
introduces two new GUC variables: enable_self_join_removal,
self_join_search_limit. enable_self_join_removal variable turns
on/off optimization at all. self_join_search_limit variable limits
its usage by the number of joins. AFICS, self_join_search_limit is
intended to protect us from quadratic complexity self-join removal
has. I tried to reproduce the extreme case.

SELECT count(*) FROM pgbench_accounts a0, pgbench_accounts a1, ...,
pgbench_accounts a100 WHERE a0.aid = 1 AND a1.aid = a0.aid + 1 AND ...
AND a100.aid = a99.aid + 1;

This query took 3778.432 ms with self-join removal disabled, and
3756.009 ms with self-join removal enabled. So, no measurable
overhead. Similar to the higher number of joins. Can you imagine
some extreme case when self-join removal could introduce significant
overhead in comparison with other optimizer parts? If not, should we
remove self_join_search_limit GUC?

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Remove-useless-self-joins-v45.patch application/octet-stream 103.0 KB