Re: jsonpath

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: jsonpath
Date: 2019-01-28 00:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 4:27 AM Alexander Korotkov
> <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Alexander Korotkov
> > <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> > > Finally, I'm going to commit this if no objections.
> >
> > BTW, I decided to postpone commit for few days. Nikita and me are
> > still working on better error messages.
>
> Updated patchset is attached. This patchset includes:
>
> * Improved error handling by Nikita, revised by me,
> * Code beautification.
>
> So, I'm going to commit this again. This time seriously :)

I'm really sorry for confusing people, but I've one more revision.
This is my first time attempting to commit such a large patch.

Major changes are following:
* We find it ridiculous to save ErrorData for possible latter throw.
Now, we either throw an error immediately or return jperError. That
also allows to get rid of unwanted changes in elog.c/elog.h.
* I decided to change behavior of jsonb_path_match() to throw as less
errors as possible. The reason is that it's used to implement
potentially (patch is pending) indexable operator. Index scan is not
always capable to throw as many errors and sequential scan. So, it's
better to not introduce extra possible index scan and sequential scan
results divergence.

So, this is version I'm going to commit unless Nikita has corrections
or anybody else objects.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Preliminary-datetime-infrastructure-v31.patch application/octet-stream 32.6 KB
0002-Jsonpath-engine-and-docs-v31.patch application/octet-stream 292.0 KB