Re: POC: Lock updated tuples in tuple_update() and tuple_delete()

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POC: Lock updated tuples in tuple_update() and tuple_delete()
Date: 2023-03-31 13:57:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 8:34 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 1:49 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > After some thoughts, I think I like idea of fetching old tuple version
> > in update/delete. Everything that evades extra tuple fetching and do
> > more of related work in a single table AM call, makes table AM API
> > more flexible.
> >
> > I'm working on patch implementing this. I'm going to post it later today.
>
> Here is the patchset. I'm continue to work on comments and refactoring.
>
> My quick question is why do we need ri_TrigOldSlot for triggers?
> Can't we just pass the old tuple for after row trigger in
> ri_oldTupleSlot?
>
> Also, I wonder if we really need a LazyTupleSlot. It allows to evade
> extra tuple slot allocation. But as I get in the end the tuple slot
> allocation is just a single palloc. I bet the effect would be
> invisible in the benchmarks.

Sorry, previous patches don't even compile. The fixed version is attached.
I'm going to post significantly revised patchset soon.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Improve-lazy-tuple-slot-v2.patch application/octet-stream 4.9 KB
0002-Revise-changes-for-tuple_update-and-tuple_delete-v2.patch application/octet-stream 55.1 KB