Re: Index range search optimization

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index range search optimization
Date: 2023-10-07 17:42:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 9:59 PM Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 at 22:44, Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru> wrote:

> > > Thank you, Pavel.
> > > I'll push this if there are no objections.
> > >
> > > ------
> > > Regards,
> > > Alexander Korotkov
> >

> > Sorry, can you please also mention that original idea of this
> > optimization belongs to Ilya Anfimov (it was discussed in @pgsql
> > Telegram chat).
>
> While it's no doubt correct to mention all authors of the patch, I
> looked through the thread and saw no mentions of Ilya's
> contributions/ideas before the patch became pushed. I'm not up to the
> current policy for processing these requests, but I suppose it's
> complicated to introduce back changes into the main branch that is
> already ahead of patch e0b1ee17dc3a38.

Yep, that happened before. We don't do a force push to override
commit messages and credit missing contributors. I waited more than
48 hours before pushing the final version of the patch, and that was
the time to propose changes like this. Now, I think all we can do is
credit Ilya on mailing lists. I believe we already did :)

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov