Re: jsonpath

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: jsonpath
Date: 2019-04-07 00:03:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 2:37 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> > Thus, contents of unused function makes test fail or pass. So far, it
> > looks like a compiler bug. Any thoughts?
>
> Yeah :-(. The fact that we've not seen a similar failure on any other
> machines points in that direction, too. Maybe it's some other aspect
> of the machine's toolchain, like flex or bison, but that's not that
> much different from our standpoint.
>
> There's a lot of stuff I don't especially like about jsonpath_scan,
> for instance I think the "init" arguments to resizeString etc are
> a pretty error-prone and unmaintainable way to do things. But
> I don't see anything that looks like it'd be a portability hazard
> that would explain this.
>
> I still have a nagging feeling that there's a wild store somewhere
> in here, but I don't know how to find it based on the limited
> evidence we've got.

Yeah, it might be not because compiler error. It might depend on
memory layout. So existence of extra function changes memory layout
and, in turn, causes an error. I will try to disassemble
jsonpath_scan.o and see whether content of yyparse2 influences
assembly of other functions.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company