Re: lastOverflowedXid does not handle transaction ID wraparound

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, stanhu(at)gmail(dot)com, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lastOverflowedXid does not handle transaction ID wraparound
Date: 2021-11-03 22:07:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 8:51 PM Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> It is however, an undocumented modularity violation. I think that is
> acceptable because of the ProcArrayLock traffic, but needs to have a
> comment to explain this at the call to
> ExpireOldKnownAssignedTransactionIds() i.e. " and potentially reset
> lastOverflowedXid", as well as a comment on the
> ExpireOldKnownAssignedTransactionIds() function.

Thank you for your feedback. Please find the revised patch attached.
It incorporates this function comment changes altogether with minor
editings and commit message. Let me know if you have further
suggestions.

I'm going to push this if no objections.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Reset-lastOverflowedXid-on-standby-when-needed.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB