Re: collect_corrupt_items_vacuum.patch

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Daniel Shelepanov <deniel1495(at)mail(dot)ru>, Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: collect_corrupt_items_vacuum.patch
Date: 2023-12-04 00:23:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Alexander!

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 07.11.2023 14:38, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > Hi, Alexander.
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> It looks like the v2 patch doesn't fix the original issue. Maybe I miss
> >> something, but with the patch applied, I see the failure immediately,
> >> though without the patch several iterations are needed to get it.
> >
> > That's a bug in the patch. Thank you for cathing it. It should start
> > calculation from latestCompletedXid + 1, not InvalidTransactionId.
> > Please, check the revised patch.
>
> Thanks for looking at this!
> Unfortunately, I still see the failure with the v3, but not on a first
> iteration:
> iteration 316
> Error condition in psql-8.log:
> create table vacuum_test as select 42 i;
> vacuum (disable_page_skipping) vacuum_test;
> select * from pg_check_visible('vacuum_test');
> t_ctid
> --------
> (0,1)
> (1 row)
>
> (I've double-checked that the patch is applied and get_strict_xid_horizon()
> is called.)

I managed to reproduce this on a Linux VM. This problem should arise
because in extension I don't have access to ProcArrayStruct. So, my
code is iterating the whole PGPROC's array. I reimplemented the new
horizon calculation function in the core with usage of
ProcArrayStruct. Now it doesn't fall for me. Please, recheck.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-false-reports-in-pg_visibility-v4.patch application/octet-stream 8.0 KB