Re: Psql patch to show access methods info

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Psql patch to show access methods info
Date: 2019-08-05 23:57:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 4:59 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 9:01 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > Based on a quick skim of the thread - which means I most definitely
> > missed things - there's not been discussion of why we actually want to
> > add this. Who's the prospective user of this facility? And why wouldn't
> > they just query pg_am[proc]? None of this information seems like it's
> > going to be even remotely targeted towards even advanced users. For
> > developers it's not clear what these add?
>
> I see your point regarding pg_am details. Probably nobody expect
> developers need this. And probably even developers don't need this,
> because it's easier to see IndexAmRoutine directly with more details.
> So, +1 for removing this.
>
> pg_amproc for gin/gist/sp-gist/brin is probably for developers. But I
> think pg_amproc for btree/hash could be useful for advanced users.
> btree/hash opclasses could be written by advanced users using
> pl/something, I've faced that several times.

Revised patch is attached. Changes to \dA+ command are reverted. It
also contains some minor improvements.

Second patch looks problematic for me, because it provides index
description alternative to \d+. IMHO, if there is something really
useful to display about index, we should keep it in \d+. So, I
propose to postpone this.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-psql-AM-info-commands-v09.patch application/octet-stream 24.7 KB