Re: Use pg_rewind when target timeline was switched

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use pg_rewind when target timeline was switched
Date: 2015-12-01 14:27:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> wrote:
> > Seems, patch is ready to commit. But it needs some documentation.
>
> Of what kind? The documentation of pg_rewind is rather explicit on the
> subject and looks fine as-is, and that's what Alexander and I agreed
> on upthread. If there is something forgotten though, this may be the
> fact that we do not mention in 9.5's documentation that pg_rewind can
> *not* handle timeline switches.

​However, we can add some explicit statements​ about new pg_rewind
capabilities. Please, check attached patch for those statements.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-rewind-target-switch-7.patch application/octet-stream 22.6 KB