Re: POC: Lock updated tuples in tuple_update() and tuple_delete()

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: POC: Lock updated tuples in tuple_update() and tuple_delete()
Date: 2024-03-19 15:20:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Pavel!

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 11:00 AM Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > You're designing new APIs, days before the feature freeze.
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 at 06:54, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 01:25:46AM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > > Pavel, thank you for you review, revisions and rebase.
> > > We'll reconsider this once v17 is branched.
>
> I've looked through patches v16 once more and think they're good
> enough, and previous issues are all addressed. I see that there is
> nothing that blocks it from being committed except the last iteration
> was days before v16 feature freeze.
>
> Recently in another thread [1] Alexander posted a new version of
> patches v16 (as 0001 and 0002) In 0001 only indenation, comments, and
> commit messages changed from v16 in this thread. In 0002 new test
> eval-plan-qual-2 was integrated into the existing eval-plan-qual test.
> For maintaining the most recent versions in this thread I'm attaching
> them under v17. I suppose that we can commit these patches to v17 if
> there are no objections or additional reviews.
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAPpHfdurb9ycV8udYqM%3Do0sPS66PJ4RCBM1g-bBpvzUfogY0EA%40mail.gmail.com

The new revision of patches is attached.

It has updated commit messages, new comments, and some variables were
renamed to be more consistent with surroundings.

I also think that all the design issues spoken before are resolved.
It would be nice to hear from Andres about this.

I'll continue rechecking these patches myself.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

Attachment Content-Type Size
v18-0001-Allow-locking-updated-tuples-in-tuple_update-and.patch application/octet-stream 61.8 KB
v18-0002-Add-EvalPlanQual-delete-returning-isolation-test.patch application/octet-stream 3.0 KB