Re: Patch: add conversion from pg_wchar to multibyte

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: add conversion from pg_wchar to multibyte
Date: 2012-05-01 22:08:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>wrote:

> My biggest complaint is related to setting the threshold for the %
> operator. It seems to me that there should be a GUC to control the
> default, and that there should be a way to set the threshold for
> each % operator in a query (if there is more than one). The
> function names which must be used on the connection before running
> the queries don't give any clue that they are related to trigrams:
> show_limit() and set_limit() are nearly useless for conveying the
> semantics of what they do.

I think this problem can be avoided by introducing composite type
representing trigram similarity query. It could consists of a query text
and similarity threshold. This type would have similar purpose as tsquery
or query_int. It would make queries more heavy, but would allow to use
distinct similarity threshold in the same query.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.