Re: Fast COPY FROM based on batch insert

From: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Subject: Re: Fast COPY FROM based on batch insert
Date: 2022-08-09 11:44:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 7:19 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Yeah, I think the patch is getting better, but I noticed some issues,
> so I'm working on them. I think I can post a new version in the next
> few days.

* When running AFTER ROW triggers in CopyMultiInsertBufferFlush(), the
patch uses the slots passed to ExecForeignBatchInsert(), not the ones
returned by the callback function, but I don't think that that is
always correct, as the documentation about the callback function says:

The return value is an array of slots containing the data that was
actually inserted (this might differ from the data supplied, for
example as a result of trigger actions.)
The passed-in <literal>slots</literal> can be re-used for this purpose.

postgres_fdw re-uses the passed-in slots, but other FDWs might not, so
I modified the patch to reference the returned slots when running the
AFTER ROW triggers. I also modified the patch to initialize the
tts_tableOid. Attached is an updated patch, in which I made some
minor adjustments to CopyMultiInsertBufferFlush() as well.

* The patch produces incorrect error context information:

create extension postgres_fdw;
create server loopback foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw options
(dbname 'postgres');
create user mapping for current_user server loopback;
create table t1 (f1 int, f2 text);
create foreign table ft1 (f1 int, f2 text) server loopback options
(table_name 't1');
alter table t1 add constraint t1_f1positive check (f1 >= 0);
alter foreign table ft1 add constraint ft1_f1positive check (f1 >= 0);

— single insert
copy ft1 from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself, or an EOF signal.
>> -1 foo
>> 1 bar
>> \.
ERROR: new row for relation "t1" violates check constraint "t1_f1positive"
DETAIL: Failing row contains (-1, foo).
CONTEXT: remote SQL command: INSERT INTO public.t1(f1, f2) VALUES ($1, $2)
COPY ft1, line 1: "-1 foo"

— batch insert
alter server loopback options (add batch_size '2');
copy ft1 from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself, or an EOF signal.
>> -1 foo
>> 1 bar
>> \.
ERROR: new row for relation "t1" violates check constraint "t1_f1positive"
DETAIL: Failing row contains (-1, foo).
CONTEXT: remote SQL command: INSERT INTO public.t1(f1, f2) VALUES
($1, $2), ($3, $4)
COPY ft1, line 3

In single-insert mode the error context information is correct, but in
batch-insert mode it isn’t (i.e., the line number isn’t correct).

The error occurs on the remote side, so I'm not sure if there is a
simple fix. What I came up with is to just suppress error context
information other than the relation name, like the attached. What do
you think about that?

(In CopyMultiInsertBufferFlush() your patch sets cstate->cur_lineno to
buffer->linenos[i] even when running AFTER ROW triggers for the i-th
row returned by ExecForeignBatchInsert(), but that wouldn’t always be
correct, as the i-th returned row might not correspond to the i-th row
originally stored in the buffer as the callback function returns only
the rows that were actually inserted on the remote side. I think the
proposed fix would address this issue as well.)

* The patch produces incorrect row count in cases where some/all of
the rows passed to ExecForeignBatchInsert() weren’t inserted on the
remote side:

create function trig_null() returns trigger as $$ begin return NULL;
end $$ language plpgsql;
create trigger trig_null before insert on t1 for each row execute
function trig_null();

— single insert
alter server loopback options (drop batch_size);
copy ft1 from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself, or an EOF signal.
>> 0 foo
>> 1 bar
>> \.
COPY 0

— batch insert
alter server loopback options (add batch_size '2');
copy ft1 from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself, or an EOF signal.
>> 0 foo
>> 1 bar
>> \.
COPY 2

The row count is correct in single-insert mode, but isn’t in batch-insert mode.

The reason is that in batch-insert mode the row counter is updated
immediately after adding the row to the buffer, not after doing
ExecForeignBatchInsert(), which might ignore the row. To fix, I
modified the patch to delay updating the row counter (and the progress
of the COPY command) until after doing the callback function. For
consistency, I also modified the patch to delay it even when batching
into plain tables. IMO I think that that would be more consistent
with the single-insert mode, as in that mode we update them after
writing the tuple out to the table or sending it to the remote side.

* I modified the patch so that when batching into foreign tables we
skip useless steps in CopyMultiInsertBufferInit() and
CopyMultiInsertBufferCleanup().

That’s all I have for now. Sorry for the delay.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Implementation-of-a-Bulk-COPY-FROM-efujita-2.patch application/octet-stream 20.0 KB