Re: pg_basebackup blocking all queries with horrible performance

From: Lonni J Friedman <netllama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup blocking all queries with horrible performance
Date: 2012-06-07 18:04:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a 4 server postgresql-9.1.3 cluster (one master doing streaming
> replication to 3 hot standby servers).  All of them are running
> Fedora-16-x86_64.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring

err, i included that URL but neglected to explain why. On a different
list someone suggested that I verify that there were no locks that
were blocking things, and I did so, and found no locks.

So I'm still at a loss why pg_basebackup is killing perf, and would
appreciate pointers on how to debug it or at least reduce its impact
on performance if that is possible.

tahnks