Re: autovac issue with large number of tables

From: Kasahara Tatsuhito <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovac issue with large number of tables
Date: 2020-11-25 07:18:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 2:17 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 7:50 PM Kasahara Tatsuhito
> <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > Does the above mean that the second and subsequent table_recheck_autovac()
> > > will be improved to first check using the previous refreshed statistics?
> > > I think that certainly works.
> > >
> > > If that's correct, I'll try to create a patch for the PoC
> >
> > I still don't know how to reproduce Jim's troubles, but I was able to reproduce
> > what was probably a very similar problem.
> >
> > This problem seems to be more likely to occur in cases where you have
> > a large number of tables,
> > i.e., a large amount of stats, and many small tables need VACUUM at
> > the same time.
> >
> > So I followed Tom's advice and created a patch for the PoC.
> > This patch will enable a flag in the table_recheck_autovac function to use
> > the existing stats next time if VACUUM (or ANALYZE) has already been done
> > by another worker on the check after the stats have been updated.
> > If the tables continue to require VACUUM after the refresh, then a refresh
> > will be required instead of using the existing statistics.
> >
> > I did simple test with HEAD and HEAD + this PoC patch.
> > The tests were conducted in two cases.
> > (I changed few configurations. see attached scripts)
> >
> > 1. Normal VACUUM case
> > - SET autovacuum = off
> > - CREATE tables with 100 rows
> > - DELETE 90 rows for each tables
> > - SET autovacuum = on and restart PostgreSQL
> > - Measure the time it takes for all tables to be VACUUMed
> >
> > 2. Anti wrap round VACUUM case
> > - CREATE brank tables
> > - SELECT all of these tables (for generate stats)
> > - SET autovacuum_freeze_max_age to low values and restart PostgreSQL
> > - Consumes a lot of XIDs by using txid_curent()
> > - Measure the time it takes for all tables to be VACUUMed
> >
> > For each test case, the following results were obtained by changing
> > autovacuum_max_workers parameters to 1, 2, 3(def) 5 and 10.
> > Also changing num of tables to 1000, 5000, 10000 and 20000.
> >
> > Due to the poor VM environment (2 VCPU/4 GB), the results are a little unstable,
> > but I think it's enough to ask for a trend.
> >
> > ===========================================================================
> > [1.Normal VACUUM case]
> > tables:1000
> > autovacuum_max_workers 1: (HEAD) 20 sec VS (with patch) 20 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 2: (HEAD) 18 sec VS (with patch) 16 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 3: (HEAD) 18 sec VS (with patch) 16 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 5: (HEAD) 19 sec VS (with patch) 17 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 10: (HEAD) 19 sec VS (with patch) 17 sec
> >
> > tables:5000
> > autovacuum_max_workers 1: (HEAD) 77 sec VS (with patch) 78 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 2: (HEAD) 61 sec VS (with patch) 43 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 3: (HEAD) 38 sec VS (with patch) 38 sec
> > autovacuum_max_workers 5: (HEAD) 45 sec VS (with patch) 37 sec
> [...]
Thanks for your comment.

If we assume the case where some workers vacuum on large tables
and a single worker vacuum on small tables, the processing
performance of the single worker will be slightly lower if the
existing statistics are checked every time.

In fact, at first I tried to check the existing stats every time,
but the performance was slightly worse in cases with a small number of workers.
(Checking the existing stats is lightweight , but at high frequency,
it affects processing performance.)
Therefore, at after refresh statistics, determine whether autovac
should use the existing statistics.

BTW, I found some typos in comments, so attache a fixed version.

Best regards,

--
Tatsuhito Kasahara
kasahara.tatsuhito _at_ gmail.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2_mod_table_recheck_autovac.patch application/octet-stream 3.5 KB