Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer

From: Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjou(dot)vg(at)hco(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Deng, Gang" <gang(dot)deng(at)intel(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer
Date: 2021-01-26 08:52:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear everyone,

Sorry but I forgot to attach my patchsets... Please see the files attached
to this mail. Please also note that they contain some fixes.

Best regards,
Takashi

2021年1月26日(火) 17:46 Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjo(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> Dear everyone,
>
> I'm sorry for the late reply. I rebase my two patchsets onto the latest
> master 411ae64.The one patchset prefixed with v4 is for non-volatile WAL
> buffer; the other prefixed with v3 is for msync.
>
> I will reply to your thankful feedbacks one by one within days. Please
> wait for a moment.
>
> Best regards,
> Takashi
>

> 01/25/2021(Mon) 11:56 Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:32 AM Tomas Vondra
>> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>> patch

>> removing
>> PMEM.

>> Not
>> entirely

>> tried

>> than
>> latency
>> for

>> data,

>> for
>> data

>> and
>> calls,
>> pmem_memcpy

>> > Yeah, we could extend it to that, that's fairly mechanical thing. Bbut
>> > maybe that could be visible in a regular perf profile. Also, I suppose
>> > most of the time will be used by the pmem calls, shown in the stats.

>> WAL
>> the

>> does,

>> segments,
>> that,

>> differences,
>> maps
>> maps
>> map/unmap
>> somehow.

>> > That's a very good question - it's quite possible the WALWriteLock is
>> > not really needed, because the processes are actually "writing" the WAL
>> > directly to PMEM. So it's a bit confusing, because it's only really
>> > concerned about making sure it's flushed.
>> >
>> > And yes, multiple processes certainly can write to PMEM at the same
>> > time, in fact it's a requirement to get good throughput I believe. My
>> > understanding is we need ~8 processes, at least that's what I heard from
>> > people with more PMEM experience.
>>
>> Thanks, that's good to know.
>>

>> > TBH I'm not convinced the code in the "simple-no-buffer" code (coming
>> > from the 0002 patch) is actually correct. Essentially, consider the
>> > backend needs to do a flush, but does not have a segment mapped. So it
>> > maps it and calls pmem_drain() on it.
>> >
>> > But does that actually flush anything? Does it properly flush changes
>> > done by other processes that may not have called pmem_drain() yet? I
>> > find this somewhat suspicious and I'd bet all processes that did write
>> > something have to call pmem_drain().
>>
>> Yeah, in terms of experiments at least it's good to find out that the
>> approach mmapping each WAL segment is not good at performance.

>> like this:

> [...]

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Support-GUCs-for-external-WAL-buffer.patch application/octet-stream 30.8 KB
v4-0005-README-for-non-volatile-WAL-buffer.patch application/octet-stream 6.6 KB
v4-0003-walreceiver-supports-non-volatile-WAL-buffer.patch application/octet-stream 5.7 KB
v4-0004-pg_basebackup-supports-non-volatile-WAL-buffer.patch application/octet-stream 18.7 KB
v4-0002-Non-volatile-WAL-buffer.patch application/octet-stream 54.0 KB
v4-0006-More-log-when-using-NVWAL.patch application/octet-stream 3.2 KB
v3-0001-Revert-Use-vectored-I-O-to-fill-new-WAL-segments.patch application/octet-stream 2.5 KB
v3-0004-Lazy-unmap-WAL-segments.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB
v3-0002-Preallocate-more-WAL-segments.patch application/octet-stream 3.2 KB
v3-0005-Speculative-map-WAL-segments.patch application/octet-stream 1.6 KB
v3-0003-Use-WAL-segments-as-WAL-buffers.patch application/octet-stream 37.9 KB
v3-0006-Map-WAL-segments-with-MAP_POPULATE-if-non-DAX.patch application/octet-stream 813 bytes
v3-0007-Set-wal_buffers-to-the-same-pages-as-WAL-segment.patch application/octet-stream 955 bytes
v3-0008-Create-a-new-WAL-segment-just-before-mapping.patch application/octet-stream 1.2 KB
v3-0010-Revert-Speculative-map-WAL-segments.patch application/octet-stream 1.7 KB
v3-0009-Do-not-open-an-existing-WAL-segment-when-creating.patch application/octet-stream 960 bytes