Re: increasing the default WAL segment size

From: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Prabhat Sahu <prabhat(dot)sahu(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date: 2017-03-22 09:44:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm a little worried that this whole question of changing the file
> naming scheme is a diversion which will result in torpedoing any
> chance of getting some kind of improvement here for v11. I don't
> think the patch is all that far from being committable but it's not
> going to get there if we start redesigning the world around it.

As stated above, the default 16MB has not changed and so we can take this
separately and not as part of this patch.

PFA an updated patch which fixes a minor bug I found. It only increases the
string size in pretty_wal_size function.
The 01-add-XLogSegmentOffset-macro.patch has also been rebased.

--
Thank you,

Beena Emerson

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
02-initdb-walsegsize-v7.patch application/octet-stream 41.2 KB
01-add-XLogSegmentOffset-macro.patch application/octet-stream 16.5 KB