Setting up streaming replication w/ a big ole database

From: Wells Oliver <wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Setting up streaming replication w/ a big ole database
Date: 2012-04-10 18:34:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey all, I have a question about streaming replication available in PG 9+

The general configuration I see is along the lines of this:

http://brandonkonkle.com/blog/2010/oct/20/postgres-9-streaming-replication-and-django-balanc/

Where you do the file system backup and restore. However, our current
server I wish to make master has a 75GB database. I can't take the server
down, and I can't run rsync against the live DB.

What are my options? I don't care if it takes a day or two for the slave to
get up to sync w/ the master: is there some way to have an empty DB read an
entire log that has everything?

I could also do a pg_restore to the new slave from last night's DB backup,
but I understand (at least, I seem to read it) that you can't bring a slave
up using pg_restore.

Are there any other options I am missing? Thanks for any tips.

--
Wells Oliver
wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com