Re: Remove size limitations of vacuums dead_tuples array

From: Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove size limitations of vacuums dead_tuples array
Date: 2019-10-11 13:49:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 17:05, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> There already was a attempt to make this improvement, see [1]. There was
> a fairly long discussion about how to best do that (using other data
> structure, not just a simple array). It kinda died about a year ago, but
> I suppose there's a lot of relevant info in that thread.
>
> [1]
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGTBQpbDCaR6vv9%3DscXzuT8fSbckf%3Da3NgZdWFWZbdVugVht6Q%40mail.gmail.com

Thanks for the pointer, wow that's a long thread. For some reason it did
not consider lifting the INT_MAX tuples/12GB limitation. I'll see if I can
pick up where that thread left off and push it along.

Regards,
Ants Aasma