Re: Replication & recovery_min_apply_delay

From: Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Replication & recovery_min_apply_delay
Date: 2020-01-27 11:45:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 5:11 PM Asim Rama Praveen <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>
wrote:

> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world: not tested
> Implements feature: not tested
> Spec compliant: not tested
> Documentation: not tested
>
> The logic to start WAL receiver early should not be coupled with
recovery_min_apply_delay GUC. WAL receiver's delayed start affects
replication in general, even when the GUC is not set.

> A better fix would be to start WAL receiver in the main replay loop, as
soon as consistent state has been reached.

> As noted during previous reviews, scanning all WAL just to determine
streaming start point seems slow. A faster solution seems desirable.

> The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author

That review is for Konstantin's patch "wal_apply_delay-2.patch". The
latest patch on this thread addresses the above review comments, so I've
changed the status in commitfest app back to "needs review".

Asim