Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] MERGE SQL Statement for PG11
Date: 2018-01-18 17:19:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 December 2017 at 11:01, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Attached: MERGE patch is now MOSTLY complete, but still WIP.

New v10a attached, with additional dev work by Pavan and some review
from Andrew

> Patch works sufficiently well to take data from source and use it
> correctly against target, for the DELETE operation and INSERT DEFAULT
> VALUES. Patch also includes PL/pgSQL changes.
>
> Patch has full set of docs and tests, but does not yet pass all tests.

Now passes all tests, including throwing new type of semantic error
discovered during dev.

> Patch uses mechanism as agreed previously with Peter G et al. on this thread.

LATEST SUMMARY
Works
* EXPLAIN
* INSERT actions (thanks Pavan)
* UPDATE actions (thanks Pavan)
* DELETE actions
* DO NOTHING actions
* PL/pgSQL
* Triggers for row and statement
* SQL Standard error requirements

Not yet working
* AND conditions (currently WIP, expected soon)
* No isolation tests yet, so EvalPlanQual untested
* RLS
* Partitioning

Based on this successful progress I imagine I'll be looking to commit
this by the end of the CF, allowing us 2 further months to bugfix.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
merge.v10a.patch application/octet-stream 137.9 KB