Tracking Object creation or modified time !

From: Avinash Kumar <avinash(dot)vallarapu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tracking Object creation or modified time !
Date: 2020-11-19 15:06:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi All,

There are currently 2 ways as per my knowledge to get the creation time
(CREATE TABLE/FUNCTION/PROC/etc...) or modified time (ALTER ....) of an
Object.

1. Using track_commit_timestamp
- Can be a slight overhead as this is applicable globally.

2. Using Event Triggers.
- Does every statement executed in the database go through an
additional check when event triggers are used ? Or is this handled smartly
in the source ?

Also, is someone working on this logic in the code to make some metadata
available that exposes creation/modified time without the need of the above
2 methods ?

In case I am missing any already existing logic (other than log files),
please let me know.
--
Regards,
Avinash Vallarapu