Re: A rather hackish POC for alternative implementation of WITH TIES

From: Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A rather hackish POC for alternative implementation of WITH TIES
Date: 2020-01-25 02:31:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 3:06 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:
> My own inclination is that Andrew's implementation, being more general
> in nature, would be the better one to have in the codebase; but we don't
> have a complete patch yet. Can we reach some compromise such as if
> Andrew's patch is not completed then we push Surafel's?

+1

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 4:35 PM Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
wrote:
> I was largely holding off on doing further work hoping for some
> discussion of which way we should go. If you think my approach is worth
> pursuing (I haven't seriously tested the performance, but I'd expect it
> to be slower than Surafel's - the price you pay for flexibility) then I
> can look at it further, but figuring out the planner stuff will take
> some time.

Flexibility with more generalized code is good, though if performance is
significantly slower I would be concerned. I quickly reviewed the patch
but haven't tested it yet.

Is it realistic to add PERCENT into this patch or would that be a future
enhancement?

Thanks,

*Ryan Lambert*