Re: PATCH: psql tab completion for SELECT

From: Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: psql tab completion for SELECT
Date: 2018-01-12 05:59:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, here's a new patch.

This one makes some changes to the criteria for which functions to
include; namely filtering out trigger functions and those that take or
return values of type "internal"; and including aggregate and window
functions. Some of the other checks could be removed as they were
covered by the "internal" check.

It also uses the server version to determine which query to run. I
have not written a custom query for every version from 7.1! I've
split up the server history into:

pre-7.3 - does not even have pg_function_is_visible. Not supported.
pre-9.0 - does not have several support functions in types, languages,
etc. We don't bother filtering using columns in other tables.
pre-9.6 - does not have various aggregate support functions.
9.6 or later - the full query

I was able to test against 9.2, 9.6, and 10 servers, but compiling and
testing the older releases was a bit much for a Friday evening. I'm
not sure there's much value in support for old servers, as long as we
can make completion queries fail a bit more gracefully.

Edmund

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-select-tab-completion-v2.patch application/octet-stream 4.4 KB