Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)

From: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)
Date: 2022-07-28 09:38:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > To understand the performance effects of the above, I have taken the
> > average of five checkpoints with the patch and without the patch in my
> > environment. Here are the results.
> > With patch: 269.65 s
> > Without patch: 269.60 s
>
> Those look like timed checkpoints - if the checkpoints are sleeping a
> part of the time, you're not going to see any potential overhead.

Yes. The above data is collected from timed checkpoints.

create table t1(a int);
insert into t1 select * from generate_series(1,10000000);

I generated a lot of data by using the above queries which would in
turn trigger the checkpoint (wal).
---

> To see whether this has an effect you'd have to make sure there's a
> certain number of dirty buffers (e.g. by doing CREATE TABLE AS
> some_query) and then do a manual checkpoint and time how long that
> times.

For this case I have generated data by using below queries.

create table t1(a int);
insert into t1 select * from generate_series(1,8000000);

This does not trigger the checkpoint automatically. I have issued the
CHECKPOINT manually and measured the performance by considering an
average of 5 checkpoints. Here are the details.

With patch: 2.457 s
Without patch: 2.334 s

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards,