Re: Removed extra memory allocations from create_list_bounds

From: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removed extra memory allocations from create_list_bounds
Date: 2021-05-24 14:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You checked LIST but not HASH (patches 3-4) or RANGE (patch 4-5), right?

Yes. I did not check about HASH and RANGE partitioning related patches
as the changes are mostly similar to the list partitioning related
changes.

> Another test is to show the time/memory used by SELECT. That's far more
> important than DDL, but I think the same results would apply here, so I think
> it's not needed to test each of LIST/RANGE/HASH, nor to test every combination
> of patches.

Yes. I also feel that the same result would apply there as well.

> Note that for the MAXRSS test, you must a different postgres backend process
> for each of the tests (or else each test would never show a lower number than
> the previous test).

I have used different backend processes for each of the tests.

> Mostly it's nice to see if the memory use is more visibly
> different, or if there's an impressive improvement for this case.

I did not get this point. Kindly explain for which scenario the memory
usage test has to be done.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin Jadhav