Re: Bug in StartupSUBTRANS

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in StartupSUBTRANS
Date: 2016-02-14 00:03:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2016 at 18:42, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> While testing the crash resilience of the recent 2-part-commit
>> improvements, I've run into a problem where sometimes after a crash
>> the recovery process creates zeroed files in pg_subtrans until it
>> exhausts all disk space.
>

> Not sure which patch you're talking about there (2-part-commit).

The one here:

commit 978b2f65aa1262eb4ecbf8b3785cb1b9cf4db78e
Author: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Date: Wed Jan 20 18:40:44 2016 -0800

Speedup 2PC by skipping two phase state files in normal path

I thought there was a second commit in the series, but I guess that is
still just proposed. I've haven't tested that one, just the committed
one.

I've repeated the crash/recovery/wrap-around testing with the proposed
fix in place, and this pre-existing problem seems to be fixed now, and
I have found no other problems.

I've attached a new version, incorporating comments from Tom and Michael.

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachment Content-Type Size
StartupSUB_v2.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB