Re: Review of: explain / allow collecting row counts without timing info

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Review of: explain / allow collecting row counts without timing info
Date: 2012-01-22 03:32:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:

> Fixed. The default value of TIMING option did not work as intended, it
> was set to true even for plain EXPLAIN (without ANALYZE). In that case
> the EXPLAIN failed.

I've applied this over the "show Heap Fetches in EXPLAIN ANALYZE
output for index-only scans" patch. It applied and built and passes
installcheck.

I have not done a full review of this, but I want to say that I want
this very much. Not only can I get the row counts, but also the Heap
Fetches and the output of BUFFERS, without the overhead of timing. I
haven't looked at contrib aspects of it at all.

Thank you for making this.

Cheers,

Jeff