Re: some AppVeyor files

From: Mike Palmiotto <mike(dot)palmiotto(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: some AppVeyor files
Date: 2020-03-27 20:30:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:27 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks! I added a link to this thread to a Wiki page that tries to
> collect information on this topic[1]. Another thing you could be
> interested in is the ability to test on several different MSVC
> versions (I tried to find some appveyor.yml files I had around here
> somewhere to do that, but no cigar... it's just different paths for
> those .bat files that set up the environment).
>
> Here is my current wish list for Windows CI:
>
> 1. Run check-world with tap tests.
> 2. Turn on the equivalent of -Werror (maybe).
> 3. Turn on asserts.
> 4. Print backtraces on crash.
> 5. Dump all potentially relevant logs on failure (initdb.log,
> regression.diff etc).

FWIW, you can RDP to the AppVeyor instance by setting an appveyor
password and pausing the machine on failure[1]. I played around with
setting the registry key to add localdumps for postgres with the
intent of feeding those to procdump. I didn't have any success with
generating dump files, but that also could have been because I wasn't
getting actual crashes.

At any rate, getting into the machine is useful in general for getting
more post-build/post-failure information, in case you weren't
configured for it already.

[1] https://www.appveyor.com/docs/how-to/rdp-to-build-worker/

Thanks,
--