Re: SortSupport for UUID type

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SortSupport for UUID type
Date: 2015-10-09 00:27:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> + tmp = ((uint32) res ^ (uint32) ((uint64) res >> 32));
>
> The outer set of parentheses here seems pretty worthless. Perhaps one
> of the parentheses at the end of the statement should be moved to just
> after "res". That seems like it would add considerably clarity.

This is more or less lifted from numeric_abbrev_convert_var(). Perhaps
you should change it there too. The extra set of parenthesis are
removed in the attached patch. The patch also mechanically updates
things to be consistent with the text changes on the text thread [1]
-- I had to rebase.

>> This patch is not all that exciting -- the techniques used here are
>> very simple, and it's all familiar territory for us. I expect that
>> this patch will not be at all contentious when someone eventually gets
>> around to reviewing it.
>
> There is no doubt that we need more reviewers.

I'm trying to do review following my burst of productivity on sorting
(especially external sorting) -- I should manage to do a bunch of
patch review when I return from vacation in about a month (I leave in
a couple of weeks). I'm currently privately helping a new contributor
with a large project in its early stages, so that is something.
Perhaps you'll hear more about that before too long.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3SWZTaVFBwtHF87OpNGN2r2_he-wsmN53HmqyWYPM=K51rEQ@mail.gmail.com
--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
0003-Add-SortSupport-routine-for-UUID-data-type.patch text/x-patch 8.9 KB