Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-09 23:07:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm in favor of this.  People are sufficiently confused by the existing
> behavior that we're not going to confuse them further by changing it.

Fwiw as someone who *was* confused previously, it now makes perfect
sense to me. "We have postgres.conf which always applies and then
recovery.conf which can have all the same options but they only apply
during recover". That's much clearer than "we have two configuration
files with two disjoint sets of options and good luck remembering
which options belong in which file". And it still serves a useful
purpose if you have options like recovery_target that you only want to
apply during recovery and then plan to remove.

--
greg