Re: create table in memory

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Kroon <plakroon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create table in memory
Date: 2012-11-23 09:22:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Peter Kroon <plakroon(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I've converted some mssql functions and they appear to be slower in pgsql.
> I use a lot of declared tables in mssql as they are created in memory.
> Which makes it very fast.
>

> 2012/11/23 Peter Kroon <plakroon(at)gmail(dot)com>
>
>> Is a temp table created to memory(ram) or disk?
>> I've converted some msssq

While the temporary table is in-use, For a small table the data will be in
the memory, For a large table if data is not fit in memory then data will
be flushed to disk periodically as the database engine needs more working
space for other requests.

A permanent table persist after terminating PostgreSQL session, whereas
temporary table is automatically destroyed when PostgreSQL session ends.

The memory is controlled by temp_buffers parameter (postgresql.conf)
--

Thanks & Regards,

Raghu Ram

EnterpriseDB Corporation