Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?
Date: 2022-01-10 01:20:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 12:13 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:
> > Here's the v2 patch. Please provide your thoughts.
>
> Thanks! I have three comments on this version.

Thanks for your review.

> - I still think "acquire/release" logs on creation/dropping should be
> silenced. Adding the third parameter to ReplicationSlotAcquire()
> that can mute the acquiring (and as well as the corresponding
> releasing) log will work.

Done.

> can piggy-back on log_replication_commands for the purpose, changing
> its meaning slightly to "log replication commands and related
> activity".
> - Need to mute the logs by log_replication_commands. (We could add
> another choice for the variable for this purpose but I think we
> don't need it.)

Done.

> - The messages are not translatable as the variable parts are
> adjectives. They need to consist of static sentences. The
> combinations of the two properties are 6 (note that persistence is
> tristate) but I don't think we accept that complexity for the
> information. So I recommend to just remove the variable parts from
> the messages.

Done.

Here's v3, please review it further.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Add-LOG-messages-when-replication-slots-become-ac.patch application/x-patch 10.8 KB