Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?
Date: 2021-12-01 14:09:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

The active_pid of ReplicationSlot structure, which tells whether a
replication slot is active or inactive, isn't persisted to the disk
i.e has no entry in ReplicationSlotPersistentData structure. Isn't it
better if we add that info to ReplicationSlotPersistentData structure
and persist to the disk? This will help to know what were the inactive
replication slots in case the server goes down or crashes for some
reason. Currently, we don't have a way to interpret the replication
slot info in the disk but there's a patch for pg_replslotdata tool at
[1]. This way, one can figure out the reasons for the server
down/crash and figure out which replication slots to remove to bring
the server up and running without touching the other replication
slots.

Thoughts?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACW0rV5gWK8A3m6_X62qH%2BVfaq5hznC%3Di0R5Wojt5%2Byhyw%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,