Re: EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYZE REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN/EXPLAIN ANALYZE REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Date: 2021-03-07 09:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 12:13 PM Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 at 14:25, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >> The v5 patch looks good to me, if there is no objection, I'll change the
> >> cf status to "Ready for Committer" in few days.
> >
> > Thanks for the review.
> >
> > As I mentioned upthread, I have 2 open points:
> > 1) In the patch I have added a new mat view info parameter to
> > ExplainOneQuery(), do we also need to add it to
> > ExplainOneQuery_hook_type? IMO, we should not (for now), because this
> > would create a backward compatibility issue.
>
> Sorry, I do not know how PostgreSQL handle the backward compatibility issue.
> Is there a guideline?

I'm not aware of any guidelines as such, but we usually avoid any
changes to existing API, adding/making changes to system catalogs and
so on.

> > 2) Do we document (under respective command pages or somewhere else)
> > that we allow explain/explain analyze for a command?
> >

> IMO, we can add a new page to list the commands that can be explain/explain analyze,
> since it's clear for users.

We are listing all the supported commands in explain.sgml, so added
the CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW(it's missing even though it's supported
prior to this patch) and REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW there.

Attaching v6 patch set. Please have a look.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Rearrange-Refresh-Mat-View-Code.patch application/x-patch 18.0 KB
v6-0002-EXPLAIN-EXPLAIN-ANALYZE-REFRESH-MATERIALIZED-VIEW.patch application/x-patch 17.1 KB