Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements
Date: 2024-04-05 15:58:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, hackers!

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 19:17, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2024-04-02 at 11:49 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > I don't like the idea that every custom table AM reltoptions should
> > begin with StdRdOptions. I would rather introduce the new data
> > structure with table options, which need to be accessed outside of
> > table AM. Then reloptions will be a backbox only directly used in
> > table AM, while table AM has a freedom on what to store in reloptions
> > and how to calculate externally-visible options. What do you think?
>
> Hi Alexander!
>
> I agree with all of that. It will take some refactoring to get there,
> though.
>
> One idea is to store StdRdOptions like normal, but if an unrecognized
> option is found, ask the table AM if it understands the option. In that
> case I think we'd just use a different field in pg_class so that it can
> use whatever format it wants to represent its options.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff Davis

I tried to rework a patch regarding table am according to the input from
Alexander and Jeff.

It splits table reloptions into two categories:
- common for all tables (stored in a fixed size structure and could be
accessed from outside)
- table-am specific (variable size, parsed and accessed by access method
only)

Please find a patch attached.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v9-0001-Custom-reloptions-for-table-AM.patch application/octet-stream 39.4 KB