Re: Added schema level support for publication.

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date: 2021-07-12 09:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 8:58 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 8, 2021 11:47 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote
> > On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 7:43 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > wrote:
> > > Thanks for reporting this issue, the attached v9 patch fixes this issue. This also
> > fixes the other issue you reported at [1].
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a look at the patch, please consider following comments.
>
> Some more commets.
>
> Currently, postgres caches publication actions info in the
> RelationData::rd_pubactions, but after applying the patch, it seems
> rd_pubactions is not initialized when using schema level publication.
>
> It cound result in some unexpected behaviour when checking if command can be
> executed with current replica identity.
>
> ----
> CheckCmdReplicaIdentity
> pubactions = GetRelationPublicationActions(rel);
> if (cmd == CMD_UPDATE && pubactions->pubupdate)
> ereport(ERROR,
> (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
> errmsg("cannot update table \"%s\" because it does not have a replica identity and publishes updates",
> RelationGetRelationName(rel)),
> errhint("To enable updating the table, set REPLICA IDENTITY using ALTER TABLE.")));
> ----
> Based on the above code, we access rd_pubactions from relcache in function
> GetRelationPublicationActions(), if we don't have correct publication
> information, we won't get the error in publication, instead we could lead to
> the failure in subscription side.
>
> To fix, I think (1) the patch can modify the function
> GetRelationPublicationActions() to get the schema level publication related to
> the relation, then merge the publication action to the rd_pubactions.
>
> In addition, (2) it seems we also need to add the relcache invalidation code
> about schema level publication when alter publication options.
>
> I attached a rough code diff about (1) and (2), the diff is based on the v9 patchset.
> I hope it can help fix the above issues.

Thanks for identifying the issues and also providing the fix for it.
Those changes are required, I have taken your changes into my patch.
The Attached patch has the changes for the same.

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
v10-0001-Added-schema-level-support-for-publication.patch text/x-patch 94.3 KB
v10-0002-Tests-and-documentation-for-schema-level-support.patch text/x-patch 44.7 KB