Re: dropdb --force

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthony Nowocien <anowocien(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Filip Rembiałkowski <filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dropdb --force
Date: 2019-11-24 10:24:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 4:42 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 3:16 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for fixing the comments. The changes looks fine to me. I have
> > fixed the first comment, attached patch has the changes for the same.
> >

> Few comments:
> --------------------------
> 1. There is a lot of duplicate code in this test. Basically, almost
> the same code is used once to test Drop Database command and dropdb.
> I think we can create a few sub-functions to avoid duplicate code, but
> do we really need to test the same thing once via command and then by
> dropdb utility? I don't think it is required, but even if we want to
> do so, then I am not sure if this is the right test script. I suggest
> removing the command related test.

Pavel: What is your opinion on this?

> 2.
> ok( TestLib::pump_until(
> + $killme,
> + $psql_timeout,
> + \$killme_stderr,
> + qr/FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command/m
> + ),
> + "psql query died successfully after SIGTERM");
>
> Extra space before TestLib.

Ran perltidy, perltidy adds an extra space. I'm not sure which version
is right whether to include space or without space. I had noticed
similarly in 001_stream_rep.pl, in few places space is present and in
few places it is not present. If required I can update based on
suggestion.

> 3.
> +=item pump_until(proc, psql_timeout, stream, untl)
>
> I think moving pump_until to TestLib is okay, but if you are making it
> a generic function to be used from multiple places, it is better to
> name the variable as 'timeout' instead of 'psql_timeout'

Fixed.

> 4. Have you ran perltidy, if not, can you please run it? See
> src/test/perl/README for the recommendation.

I have verified by running perltidy.

Please find the updated patch attached. 1st patch is same as previous,
2nd patch includes the fix for comments 2,3 & 4.

Regards,
Vignesh

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-tests-for-the-support-of-f-option-in-dropdb-util.patch text/x-patch 4.2 KB
0002-Made-pump_until-usable-as-a-common-subroutine.patch text/x-patch 6.0 KB