Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table

From: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rémi Lapeyre <remi(dot)lapeyre(at)lenstra(dot)fr>
Cc: Eli Marmor <eli(at)netmask(dot)it>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: System Versioned Temporal Table
Date: 2020-07-21 14:32:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey Rémi,
Thank you for looking at it

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 7:05 PM Rémi Lapeyre <remi(dot)lapeyre(at)lenstra(dot)fr>
wrote:

> Hi, thanks for working on this. I had planned to work on it and I’m
> looking forward to this natively in Postgres.
>
> The patch builds with the following warnings:
>
> plancat.c:2368:18: warning: variable 'name' is used uninitialized whenever
> 'for' loop exits because its condition is false [-Wsometimes-uninitialized]
> for (int i = 0; i < natts; i++)
> ^~~~~~~~~
> plancat.c:2379:9: note: uninitialized use occurs here
> return name;
> ^~~~
> plancat.c:2368:18: note: remove the condition if it is always true
> for (int i = 0; i < natts; i++)
> ^~~~~~~~~
> plancat.c:2363:15: note: initialize the variable 'name' to silence this
> warning
> char *name;
> ^
> = NULL
> plancat.c:2396:18: warning: variable 'name' is used uninitialized whenever
> 'for' loop exits because its condition is false [-Wsometimes-uninitialized]
> for (int i = 0; i < natts; i++)
> ^~~~~~~~~
> plancat.c:2407:9: note: uninitialized use occurs here
> return name;
> ^~~~
> plancat.c:2396:18: note: remove the condition if it is always true
> for (int i = 0; i < natts; i++)
> ^~~~~~~~~
> plancat.c:2391:15: note: initialize the variable 'name' to silence this
> warning
> char *name;
> ^
> = NULL
> 2 warnings generated.

I wonder why my compiler didn't show me this

make check pass without issues, but make check-world fails for
> postgres_fdw, the diff is attached.

Okay thanks the attached patch contains a fix for both issue

> Before going further in the review, I’m a bit surprised by the quantity of
> code needed here. In https://github.com/xocolatl/periods there is far
> less code and I would have expected the same here. For example, are the
> changes to copy necessary or would it be possible to have a first patch the
> only implement the minimal changes required for this feature?

Yes there not many c code in there because most of the logice is written
in SQL

regards
Surafel

Attachment Content-Type Size
system-versioned-temporal-table_v5.patch text/x-patch 121.7 KB