doc: BRIN indexes and autosummarize

From: Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: doc: BRIN indexes and autosummarize
Date: 2022-06-28 23:22:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's a patch to clarify the BRIN indexes documentation, particularly with
regards
to autosummarize, vacuum and autovacuum. It basically breaks down a big
blob of a
paragraph into multiple paragraphs for clarity, plus explicitly tells how
summarization
happens manually or automatically.

I also added cross-references to various relevant sections, including the
create index
page.

On this topic... I'm not familiar with with the internals of BRIN indexes
and in
backend/access/common/reloptions.c I see:

{
"autosummarize",
"Enables automatic summarization on this BRIN index",
RELOPT_KIND_BRIN,
AccessExclusiveLock
},

Is the exclusive lock on the index why autosummarize is off by default?

What would be the downside (if any) of having autosummarize=on by default?

Roberto

--
Crunchy Data - passion for open source PostgreSQL

Attachment Content-Type Size
brin-autosummarize-docs.patch application/octet-stream 7.4 KB