Re: PostgreSQL survey

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Cesar Massaki Kamiya <cesarmk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL survey
Date: 2011-12-13 23:53:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Sorry for the late reply. I have been swamped with work this week and
haven't gotten to this until now. (Development and preparing to
deliver PostgreSQL training in Malaysia.)

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Cesar Massaki Kamiya <cesarmk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi community,
>
> We have a mission critical system on Oracle, and would like to migrate to
> PostgreSQL. Would like to know from this community:
>
> 1. Anyone using PostgreSQL for enterprise mission critical system ?

It's hard to know how many people are using LedgerSMB in production or
how many paying customers expist between Command Prompt and us. I
would consider (as Ned does!) accounting and ERP to be mission
critical.

However, our largest customers are midsized businesses which limits
the size and scope of what you are talking about. The largest is a
decent-sized financial services company.

> 2. How big are the servers you are running PostgreSQL, Is there anyone using
> more than 32 cores or 256GB memory ?

We don't have any businesses deploying anything that big. I think our
largest deployment is either 4 or 8 cores, and it performs very well
under a very complex load (the accounting app is web-based and so we
have to do some less than optimal things performance-wise to ensure
state of accounting access gets tracked correctly between sessions,
and yet PostgreSQL is rarely if ever the bottleneck).

> 3. What OS you are using to run this mission critical system on PostgreSQL ?
> Linux, Unix ?

Linux.

> 4. Who provides PostgreSQL support ?  Do you have any support contract with
> a third party company ? If so, how much is the monthly support fee ?

I don't have anyone else to add to the list at present.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers