Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table

From: yuzuko <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum on partitioned table
Date: 2020-02-20 06:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay.
Attach the latest patch based on discussion in this thread.

> > Yeah that is what I meant. In addition, adding partition's
> > changes_since_analyze to its parent needs to be done recursively as
> > the parent table could also be a partitioned table.
>
> That's a good point. So, changes_since_analyze increments are
> essentially propagated from leaf partitions to all the way up to the
> root table, including any intermediate partitioned tables. We'll need
> to consider whether we should propagate only one level at a time (from
> bottom of the tree) or update all parents up to the root, every time a
> leaf partition is analyzed.

For multi-level partitioning, all parents' changes_since_analyze will be
updated whenever analyzing a leaf partition in this patch.
Could you please check the patch again?

--
Best regards,
Yuzuko Hosoya

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3_autovacuum_on_partitioned_table.patch application/octet-stream 22.1 KB