Re: Set Returning Functions and array_agg()

From: Stephen Scheck <singularsyntax(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Set Returning Functions and array_agg()
Date: 2013-04-24 21:44:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm guessing the reason is something like this: even though the "things"
returned by these two statements are the same logical entity (from a
mathematics/set theory standpoint):

pg_dev=# select * from unnest(array[1,2,3]);
unnest
--------
1
2
3
(3 rows)

pg_dev=# select unnest(array[1,2,3]);
unnest
--------
1
2
3
(3 rows)

The processing code-path for an aggregate function gets fed row-by-row and
is not just handed a complete set to work on. That would explain why
set-returning functions are allowed in the columns-clause (no general
prohibition on that) but not passable to aggregate functions.

But then, shouldn't it be possible to write something like array_agg that
takes a set as input and returns an array, that is not an aggregate
function, and is callable from the columns-clause?