Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review

From: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Date: 2015-01-15 23:03:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

Attached is a patch that proposes the following additional role attributes
for review:

* ONLINE_BACKUP - allows role to perform backup operations
- originally proposed as BACKUP - due to concern for the use of that term
in relation to other potential backup related permissions this form is in
line with the documentation as it describes the affected backup operations
as being 'online backups'.
- applies only to the originally proposed backup functions.
* XLOG_REPLAY - allows role to perform pause and resume on xlog_replay
operations ('pg_xlog_replay_pause' and 'pg_xlog_replay_resume')
- following the recommendation from Stephen and Magnus.
* LOG - allows role to rotate log files - remains broad enough to consider
future log related operations
* MONITOR - allows role to view pg_stat_* details (as originally proposed)
* SIGNAL - allows role to signal backend processes (as originally proposed)

The documentation still needs to be updated. If this these attributes and
the capabilities they provide are acceptable, then I'll begin moving
forward on making those updates as well.

Regarding the discussion on a DUMP/READONLY permission. I believe that
topic needs much further discussion and decided it is probably best to keep
it as a separate patch/effort. I'd certainly be willing to continue that
discussion and assist in moving any related effort forward, therefore,
please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Brightwell - adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com
Database Engineer - www.crunchydatasolutions.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
role-attributes-v2.patch text/x-patch 41.0 KB