PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.
Date: 2018-10-25 22:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For a long time, we documented our table size, max columns, max column
width limits, etc. in https://www.postgresql.org/about/ , but that
information seems to have now been removed. The last version I can
find with the information present is back in April this year. Here's a
link to what we had:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180413232613/https://www.postgresql.org/about/

I think it's a bit strange that we don't have this information fairly
early on in the official documentation. I only see a mention of the
1600 column limit in the create table docs. Nothing central and don't
see mention of 32 TB table size limit.

I don't have a patch, but I propose we include this information in the
docs, perhaps on a new page in the preface part of the documents.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?