Re: Removing Functionally Dependent GROUP BY Columns

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing Functionally Dependent GROUP BY Columns
Date: 2016-01-14 22:05:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 January 2016 at 00:19, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
wrote:

> + * Technically we could look at UNIQUE indexes too,
> however we'd also
> + * have to ensure that each column of the unique index had
> a NOT NULL
>

> s/had/has/
>

> + * constraint, however since NOT NULL constraints
> currently are don't
>

> s/are //

Both fixed. Thanks.

> > + /*
> > + * If we found any surplus Vars in the GROUP BY clause, then
> > we'll build
> > + * a new GROUP BY clause without these surplus Vars.
> > + */
> > + if (anysurplus)
> > + {
> > + List *new_groupby = NIL;
> > +
> > + foreach (lc, root->parse->groupClause)
> > + {
> > + SortGroupClause *sgc = (SortGroupClause *) lfirst(lc);
> > + TargetEntry *tle;
> > + Var *var;
> > +
> > + tle = get_sortgroupclause_tle(sgc,
> root->parse->targetList);
> > + var = (Var *) tle->expr;
> > +
> > + if (!IsA(var, Var))
> > + continue;
> > + [...]
> >
> > if var isn't a Var, it needs to be added in new_groupby.
> >

> > Yes you're right, well, at least I've written enough code to ensure that
> > it's not needed.
>
> Oh yes, I realize that now.

I meant to say "I've not written enough code" ...

> > Technically we could look inside non-Vars and check if the Expr is just
> > made up of Vars from a single relation, and then we could also make that
> > surplus if we find other Vars which make up the table's primary key. I
> > didn't make these changes as I thought it was a less likely scenario. It
> > wouldn't be too much extra code to add however. I've went and added an
> > XXX comment to explain that there might be future optimisation
> > opportunities in the future around this.
> >

> Agreed.
>
> > I've attached an updated patch.
> >

> + /* don't try anything unless there's two Vars */
> + if (varlist == NULL || list_length(varlist) < 2)
> + continue;
>
> To be perfectly correct, the comment should say "at least two Vars".

Changed per discussion from you and Geoff

> Except the small remaining typos, this patch looks very fine to me. I
> flag it as ready for committer.

Many thanks for your followup review.

I've attached an updated patch to address what you highlighted above.

Attachment Content-Type Size
prune_group_by_clause_59f15cf_2016-01-15.patch application/octet-stream 12.6 KB