Re: Importing directly from BCP files

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Importing directly from BCP files
Date: 2015-11-16 03:09:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On 16 November 2015 at 15:31, Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Does anybody have any documentation on what a BCP file from SQL server
> looks like?

That appears to depend on the -f option

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms162802.aspx

There's more details on the format files here
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-nz/library/ms191516.aspx

Have you tried opening a file in a text editor to see what they look like?

> I have a directory full of BCP files and I would like to import them into
> PG.

The default format seems to be separating values with a tab character.

The bulk import command in PostgreSQL is COPY, so you'll likely want to
look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-copy.html
Let's assume you have *.bcp files in the default format with values
separated with tabs, you could open up psql and use a command something
along the lines of:

copy <table name> from '<filename>' delimiter ' '; -- <- use a tab
character between the quotes.

Of course, you'll need to create the table first with CREATE TABLE.

> Has anybody done anything like this before?

I'd imagine that it's fairly common.

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>