Re: Patch to improve a few appendStringInfo* calls

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to improve a few appendStringInfo* calls
Date: 2015-06-15 00:56:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 May 2015 at 12:51, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On 5/12/15 4:33 AM, David Rowley wrote:
> > Shortly after I sent the previous patch I did a few more searches and
> > also found some more things that are not quite right.
> > Most of these are to use the binary append method when the length of the
> > string is already known.
>
> For these cases it might be better to invent additional functions such
> as stringinfo_to_text() and appendStringInfoStringInfo() instead of
> repeating the pattern of referring to data and length separately.

You're probably right. It would be nicer to see some sort of wrapper
functions that cleaned these up a bit.

I really think that's something for another patch though, this patch just
intends to put things the way they're meant to be in the least invasive way
possible. What you're proposing is changing the way it's meant to work,
which will cause much more code churn.

I've attached a re-based patch.

Regards

David Rowley

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>

Attachment Content-Type Size
appendStringInfo_fixes_fa48767_2015-06-15.patch application/octet-stream 22.1 KB