Re: Cleaning up and speeding up string functions

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up and speeding up string functions
Date: 2019-07-04 01:51:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 26 May 2019 at 04:50, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Here's a small patch series aimed to both clean up a few misuses of
> > string functions and also to optimise a few things along the way.
>
> > 0001: Converts various call that use appendPQExpBuffer() that really
> > should use appendPQExrBufferStr(). If there's no formatting then
> > using the former function is a waste of effort.
>
> > 0002: Similar to 0001 but replaces various appendStringInfo calls with
> > appendStringInfoString calls.
>
> Agreed on these; we've applied such transformations before.

I've pushed 0001 and 0002.

Instead of having 0004, how about the attached?

Most of the calls won't improve much performance-wise since they're so
cheap anyway, but there is xmlconcat(), I imagine that should see some
speedup.

Attachment Content-Type Size
use_binary_string_info_when_len_is_known.patch application/octet-stream 5.8 KB