Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE
Date: 2018-11-23 00:14:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As a follow-on from [1] and also discussed in [2], I'd like to propose
that we don't obtain locks on all partitions during INSERT into a
partitioned table and UPDATE of a partitioned key and instead, only
lock the partition when we first route a tuple to it. This means that
the order that the locks are obtained is no longer well defined and is
at the mercy of the order that tuples are INSERTed or UPDATEd. It
seems worth relaxing this a bit for gains in performance, as when a
partitioned table contains many partitions, the overhead of locking
all partitions when inserting a single row, or just a few rows is
often significantly higher than the cost of doing the actual insert.

The current behaviour was added in 54cde0c4c058073 in order to
minimise deadlock risk. It seems that the risk there only comes from
AELs that could be taken when a partition directly receives a TRUNCATE
/ CREATE INDEX / VACUUM FULL / CLUSTER. There's obviously no conflict
with other DML operations since two RowExclusiveLocks don't conflict
with each other. I think all other AEL obtaining DDL must be
performed on the top level partitioned table, for example, ADD COLUMN
can't be done directly on a partition, so there's no added deadlock
risk from those. For a deadlock to occur one of the above DDL commands
would have to be executed inside a transaction in an order opposite to
the order rows are being INSERTed or UPDATEd in the partitioned table.
If required, such operations could LOCK TABLE the top partitioned
table to block the DML operation. There's already a risk of similar
deadlocks from such operations done on multiple separate tables when
the order they're done is not the same as the order the tables are
written in a query, although, in that case, the window for the
deadlock is likely to be much smaller.

With this done, the performance of an INSERT into a 10k partition
partitioned table looks like:

Setup:
create table hashp (a int) partition by hash(a);
select 'create table hashp'||x::Text || ' partition of hashp for
values with (modulus 10000, remainder '||x::text||');' from
generate_Series(0,9999) x;
\gexec

hashp_insert.sql:
\set p_a random(1,1000)
insert into hashp values(:p_a);

Results:
$ psql -c "truncate hashp;" postgres && pgbench -n -f hashp_insert.sql
-M prepared -c 4 -j 4 -T 60 postgres

Patched:

Unpatched:

The patch is attached.
I'll park this here until the January commitfest.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKJS1f_1RJyFquuCKRFHTdcXqoPX-PYqAd7nz=GVBwvGh4a6xA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/25C1C6B2E7BE044889E4FE8643A58BA963B5796B%40G01JPEXMBKW03#3783596a794c6789a54a95a20971b6aa

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Delay-locking-of-partitions-during-INSERT-and-UPD.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB